[RE-wrenches] Off Grid Alarm Communicator

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sun Nov 27 11:33:48 PST 2011

Hi Carl,

We too provided power to a home owner for an alarm system (and more) for a
remote vacation cabin in the heart of meth. country several years ago. The
cabin had previous wiring provisions for lighting, etc. on one 15A AC
circuit, when occupied, so this is not a carbon copy of your requirements.
My take away from this experience was to prohibit the alarm company from
keeping their (traditional AC SLA) backup battery in place if you choose to
use a flooded system and it is properly designed, as Jeff says, with no low
power shutdown during the worst weather.

In this application, a local bell/horn also sounds during alarm conditions
for much more than two minutes, as I remember.

Wiser and more efficient next time,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar