[RE-wrenches] Liability

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Nov 23 11:52:04 PST 2011

I agree with Joel and Allan's comments; I just would add that I too have
done many repairs, and rewires and found them to be decent customers.  I
also have never been sued, by using Joel's method of avoiding problem
clients.
Usually the rewire turns into a system upgrade (  I always do a complete
load analysis) and before I know it, I'm selling modules, and batteries
too.
Just don't get caught in fixing one little thing, then getting call
backs for everything else.
You either create a system designed for their use, that is installed
correctly, or you don't have your name on it.
BTW, it does not all have to meet 2011 code, as it's repair of existing
wiring, and so you have quite a bit more lee way.
Old off grid customers that have been struggling for years make very
good, informed customers that appreciate how much better the system
works after, and spread by word of mouth, the good news to their off
grid neighbors.
This type of work is not for the squimish though, and I have had my
share of 4 am worry sessions over some of this work.
Also bill by Time and materials, you never know what you're going to run
into, till you get everything off the wall.

Ray Walters