[RE-wrenches] GT inverter

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Mon Nov 21 17:32:26 PST 2011

Jay,

If you use the Aurora 6000, it has two separate MPPT channels, and each channel has dual input lugs, so you could have up to four PV strings without any needed fusing (two strings per channel).

On the 6000, the max input power per channel is 4kW, so you can't just put two strings of 10 modules on one channel (20 x 225W = 4500W), but you could use four strings, with, say 16 modules on one channel (two strings of 8 for 3600W ) and 14 modules on the other channel (two strings of 7 for 3150W ). The Aurora inverters have an adjustable input voltage range that will go all the way down to about 90VDC and still power-point track, so strings of 7 are no problem, even with regular 60-cell modules. There is some loss of efficiency at the lower voltages, but it's minor.

30 of the Sanyo 225's might be a bit high for a 6kW inverter however, so you may want to use two smaller Aurora inverters instead of a single 6000. You will need to analyze how much clipping you might get at the location, and see if the lost wattage is worth the extra cost of using two inverters. Personally, I don't think that an array at 6750W on a 6kw inverter will really see all that much clipping, unless it's in a cold climate. I doubt that the extra cost of using two smaller inverters would be justified.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar