[RE-wrenches] Sharp 62 Watt Shingle Installation Info needed

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Sun Nov 6 22:04:14 PST 2011

David,Sorry, a bit slow on the reply.  A few years ago I installed about 15kW of the GE Geko modules which are similar to these ones.  I believe the Geko's were 55W and 65W.
I worked closely with the roofer who was installing the cement roof tiles.  He would lay out the bottom row or two of cement tiles and then i would tell him how many modules i wanted to install per row and he would come along behind me and fill in either end of each row with the cement tiles.You do need to have the "holding clips/brackets" that are screwed to the roof beneath the bottom edge of each module. These are for protecting against wind uplift, since otherwise, each module is only held to the roof by two or three screws at the top edge of the module.
VERY IMPORTANT... To whomever is laying out the strapping on the roof (you or the roofer).... You have to pay close attention to the vertical spacing of the strapping that the modules and cement tiles will rest on, (this spacing determines the tile overlap) and leave enough space for the modules to lay on each other without overlapping too much, otherwise one course/row of modules could overlap the cells of the course/row below it and you will end up with permanent shading!
Also,  be sure that whoever is coming along behind and nailing down the tiles is well aware of the wiring that will be routed beneath the modules and tiles.
Are the Sharp ones the ones with the polycarbonate frames?
Hope this helps.
bennDayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY