[RE-wrenches] Module Load Rating

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Oct 7 06:31:09 PDT 2011

UL 1703 is a 30 psf positive (downward) or negative (upward) load, or a
design load designated by the manufacturer. I've never seen a module
advertising a 30psf loading requirement--everything I've seen is at
least 50psf--which I take to mean that this "designated" design load is
usually spec'd by manufacturers to be 50 psf. 30 psf is pretty weak.

The UL tests themselves then actually go to 1.5 times that design load
as a safety factor. The load tests last 30 minutes. As I understand it
(based off a coworker's conversation with a Schott rep), this is why
Schott advertises that their modules withstand 75psf front and back. The
rep questioned why all manufacturers weren't advertising 75psf.

IEC 61215 also tests both upwards and downwards loading. Since it's
written by some French people, they specify a 2400 Pascal load, which is
50.1 psf, for both the front and back of the module. They do this in
three cycles of tests (50psf front, 50 psf back being one cycle).
However, "if the module is to be qualified to withstand heavy
accumulations of snow and ice," then during the third cycle they go to
5400 Pa for the FRONT loading. 5400 Pa is 112.8 psf. Each load test
lasts 1 hour. If a module manufacturer claims 113psf uplift resistance
then either they misunderstand the IEC standard or they make the Hulk of
PV (without the smash). Note that the IEC standard does not have the 1.5
safety factor.

Some test labs offer a package deal where they test modules to UL and
IEC requirements at the same time to qualify a module for worldwide
sale-- so they go through each test and pick the harder requirements
(between UL and IEC) so that passing each test means the module is
certified to meet both standards. IEC's 50 psf loading may have caused
some manufacturers to designate the 50 psf load for UL. Or, module
manufacturers just do the 50psf IEC load which corresponds to a
"designated" 33.3 psf load for UL times that 1.5 factor.