[RE-wrenches] Invert first?

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Oct 3 08:35:33 PDT 2011

  At 03:09 PM 10/2/2011, you wrote:
>Sounds like a good situation for a sunny island system.

I second that option.  Run high voltage strings (say 13- 30 volt
module strings) to the Sunny Boys, and AC couple to the Sunny
Islands.   I'm running 440 feet to a Sunny Boy, and wire size will
not be a problem.  You will likely need 4 of the Sunny Islands if you
want to be able to use the entire 15kW array for backup.  It is an
expensive option, but if it is a super high end job, then this would
be the way to go.

>Sent from my iPhone.
>
>On Oct 2, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Eric Thomas
><<mailto:solarepiphany at gmail.com>solarepiphany at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Wrenches,
>>
>>We are designing a super high end grid-tied w/ battery backup
>>system for a customer. Array will be ~15kW; pole or stand alone
>>structure mounted; 250' from home/batteries. My question is: does
>>it make any sense to invert the power at the array and use this ac
>>to make the long run to the batteries THEN connect to a typical
>>battery charger rather than a dc charge controller? Im mostly
>>concerned with huge dc conductors making this run across the
>>property. Havent delved into the specific design enough to size
>>said conductors yet, or specify any equipment, but wanted to know
>>if im barking up the wrong tree ir not.
>>Thanks for the insight.
>>
>>Eric Thomas
>>Founder