[RE-wrenches] battery cycle life, US Battery

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Sep 17 18:39:23 PDT 2011

I agree Larry, I don't have as much confidence in the Dekas, but a cycle
life chart provided by my supplier shows them equal to the T105. IT took
a mnth to get that chart to me, so who knows where it came from.
I definitely have seen lower life from the Sam's club batteries, but
again we need some good comparison data to make the case for spending
more on the Trojans for instance.
As they say in computing: garbage in, garbage out. So if I use bogus
cycle numbers  (as I apparently did in an earlier post) my life cost
calculations are equally bad. I've been trying for over a decade to get
this to a more exact science, obviously we've a ways to go.
So far I trust my Trojan numbers  ( more or less) Deka not so sure, HUPs
and other big industrial cells seem to be on target, Rolls I'm still
waiting on, but I think they're making an effort to get us the numbers.
Do you have Johnson controls or interstate numbers? I had some Exide
numbers ( I recall under 400 cycles for their GC) and those seemed to be
right, because they definitely didn't last very long.
I know one thing: My customers with HUPs have had zero complaints and
I've been selling those for almost a decade. On problematic systems that
we've upgraded, the HUPs cured the problems, and satisfied the
customers. Will they last 2100 cycles? I'm not sure if I'll last that
many cycles at this point.

Ray