[RE-wrenches] Leaving metal roofs?

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Sun Sep 11 15:12:08 PDT 2011

On a recent S-5 job we were allowed to penetrate the roof for conduit.
We used an LB fitting and an EPDM boot. The 2" LB does not stick up
above the modules when using S-5's and SolarMount rail. I would expect
that the LB would be higher than modules if using the S-5-PV, even if it
were smaller conduit. One way to make it look better is to use a 90 to
make the LB parallel and close to the edge of a module.

The roofer may want to do the penetration just to give himself a warm
fuzzy. It's no different from a plumbing vent, so most roofers won't
have any problem with it if you explain what you are doing.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar