[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Fri Sep 2 21:13:06 PDT 2011

I have come to that conclusion as well Jay. 99% of our grid outages happen when we have severe winter weather... this is also when there is NO solar. So the battery based grid tie system sits there day after day operating at only ~85% efficient Then, when the grid goes down you have "X" number of hours of battery power until you need to start the genny. Generator backup for direct (batteryless) grid tie PV seems a better solution to me.

Todd

On Friday, September 2, 2011 6:15pm, "jay peltz" <jay at asis.com> said:

> HI Larry,
>
> I'll chime in here with the "other" option, ie no batteries at all.
>
> Instead its a back up generator.
> I've found them to be much cheaper, and if you are expecting a longer outage then
> weather is usually a problem ie its overcast and therefor you'll need a backup for
> your battery system anyway, so
> just go with the backup.
>
> jay
>
> peltz power
>

> On Sep 2, 2011, at 8:51 AM, Larry Brown wrote:
>
> > Wrenches,
> >
> > After Hurricane Irene left a lot of people without power here in the
> Northeast, customers who have grid-tied systems are asking about some battery
> backup to power some essential loads.
> >
> > We have used Sunny Islands but they require either 2 Sunny Islands or a step
> up transformer to get 240 volts for the well pump.  Schneider Electric  (Xantrex
> XW) inverters look like they would work  for this application and do 120/240 volt
> output as well and we have used these in off grid applications but not as AC
> coupled.  I have considered Magnum because they also do 120/240 volts but they
> need battery diversion to ensure the batteries are not over charged.
> >
> > None of these systems are going to be rewired as a DC system so I am looking
> for any feed back on what others are using to AC couple to existing grid-tied
> systems to provide some battery backup.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Larry
> >
> > Larry Brown