[RE-wrenches] unique battery bank design question

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 2 07:49:20 PDT 2011

On T-105 battery banks, I've used taps with alligator clips so the tap could
be moved every few days to power 1 amp or less loads. The taps worked
because I equalized the battery bank every month. I've used voltage-dropping
resistors (simple and cheap), Vanner equalizers (ambulance grade hardware),
off-the-shelf DC-to-DC converters (some only lasted 2 years) and custom
DC-to-DC converters with MPPT. All work well when they are designed for the
peak load and continuous load, have good heat dissipation and their
parasitic load is included in the system's energy production.

Joel Davidson