[RE-wrenches] Electric boiler usage?

Ken Schaal Ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Sat Aug 27 09:27:40 PDT 2011

Hi Jesse--
I see from the bio's page that you're in MN. More on the ' super-insulated
shell ' end of the spectrum than ' Passive solar' , but then the natural
light that comes with passive design could be very important to avoiding the
winter blahs-------- at least this approach gets the horse before the cart .
ie; minimize the need for energy.

As for how best to get the needed energy into the house, even in MN, you can
borrow some from Mother Nature, with a water to water heat pump. Water
source or ground loop, the cost effectiveness is probably there. As for
being near net zero, I'd sure have a wood stove or boiler available. Depends
on the details of the home--city/rural, orientation/ solar availability,
lifestyle/budget, grid reliability/ability to do without it, etc.

A heat pump boiler will be 3-5 times more efficient than an electric boiler.
Just my $.02  --------

Take Care

Ken