[RE-wrenches] Lithium Ion Phosphate for grid back up

James Surrette james at surrette.com
Wed Aug 24 09:17:21 PDT 2011

Hi Darryl,

When looking at off-grid systems, in your opinion, how often is there excess current, i.e. more amps from the PV / Charge Source than can be absorbed & approximately what percentage of capacity?

Looking at Lithium Ion, like NMC, you can recharge at 2x Capacity (so 1/2 hour recharge times) however, for off-grid, what do you do with all the excess charging capacity once the bank is full?

LA have decent acceptance until they approach fully charged (20%) and lead calcium (AGM, Gel or Flooded Calcium) maintain a higher acceptance rate for longer.  There's always a downside (lower cycle life, higher cost, etc) but Flooded Calcium may have a place in the off-grid space.

Regards,

Jamie

>>> Darryl Thayer <daryl_solar at yahoo.com> 8/24/2011 11:44 AM >>>

One of the advantages of LiFeP is the fast rechange rate.  I have found that fast recharge is very hard on LA batteries, if they are recharged faster they fail sooner.  Perhaps Jamie or others could answer is there something that can be recharged fast?  Capasitors are almost impossible to work with.  Lead carbon? Ni Magnisum Cobalt?