[RE-wrenches] Grounding system for a shack on a frozen lake?

Christopher Warfel cwarfel at entech-engineering.com
Wed Aug 10 03:30:42 PDT 2011

We have developed some off grid 12/24/48 Vdc and dc/120Vac systems for
use in aquaculture that are basically in the tidal of estuaries, far
from shore.  We have attempted to create a earth coupled ground by
grounding the system to copper conductors looped in the salt water.

On 8/9/2011 8:40 AM, Dave Click wrote:
> Per 690.41 you probably wouldn't need to ground it for a system like
> this, but I like the idea of dropping a ground rod down into the
> water. Then curve the end and find a big worm, of course.
>
> **
> 690.41 System Grounding. For a photovoltaic power source, one
> conductor of a 2-wire system with a photovoltaic system voltage over
> 50 volts and the reference (center tap) conductor of a bipolar system
> shall be solidly grounded or shall use other methods that accomplish
> equivalent system protection in accordance with 250.4(A) and that
> utilize equipment listed and identified for the use.
> **
>
> On 2011/8/9 8:34, Drake wrote:
>> That is an amusing concept, and it sounds like a fun project. Why not
>> poke a hole in the ice and drop the rod in the water? If the water is
>> not too deep, send it to the bottom. It certainly will be below the
>> permanent moisture level!
>>

>> At 01:34 AM 8/9/2011, you wrote:
>>> Sounds like a silly question but is there any way to ground a small
>>> battery based PV system serving a temporary fishing shack on the
>>> middle of a frozen lake? Around here they call these 8' x 8' (or
>>> larger) shacks "ice houses". One or more holes are augered through the
>>> ice for fishing lines. Some of the shacks get remarkably fancy, almost
>>> luxurious (in a guy kind of way). There is usually plenty of beer and
>>> snacks. Sometimes fish, too. The shacks get set in place as soon as
>>> the ice is solid (4-6" thick) and they may stay there for several
>>> months. It's a home away from home for a lot of upper midwest folks in
>>> the winter. Some like the idea of a small solar powered battery system
>>> for light, CD player, TV, etc. There's no earth around for hundreds of
>>> yards, even miles.
>>>
>>> Charlie Pickard
>>> Aladdin Solar
>>>
>>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>>>
>>> Options & settings:

>>> List rules & etiquette:
>>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>> <http://www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm>
>>>
>>> Check out participant bios:
>>> www.members.re-wrenches.org <http://www.members.re-wrenches.org/>
>>
>> Drake Chamberlin
>> ATHENS ELECTRIC
>> OH License 44810
>> CO license 3773
>> NABCEP Certified PV

>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>>
>> Options&  settings:

>> List rules&  etiquette:
>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>
>> Check out participant bios:
>> www.members.re-wrenches.org

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

Christopher Warfel, P.E.
ENTECH Engineering, Inc.
Energy Utilization Experts
(401)466-8978

The information contained within this communication shall
be considered confidential and shall not be retransmitted
without knowledge of the sender. Please contact us if
this email reached you in error. Thank you.