[RE-wrenches] Trojan RE Series Tech question

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Tue Aug 2 17:04:43 PDT 2011

Hi Dave,

Since the battery bank will be standing with little discharge for 8 months, there is no need for daily high voltage. I would recommend a lower voltage daily charge up to about 14 volts for 1 hour. Set the float voltage for 13.2 (per Trojan instructions). I would also set a 30 day equalize charge for 1 hour at 14.8~15 volts. Make sure they do a full and proper equalization cycle before they start this lower voltage regime.

I would disable the Solar Boost 50 and just use the Outback to maintain the bank. This should keep it healthy without much water loss.

We have customers in Mexico that leave for 6-8 months in the summer. In addition to this charge method, we install Water Miser caps to minimize water loss. This has been very successful for our off grid customers.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems