[RE-wrenches] Efficient step up, down transformers

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Jul 26 12:19:22 PDT 2011

Lars:

I have been dealing with the same issue for an on-grid scenario.  We were
asked to bid a large installation to cover the idle losses of poorly
selected transformers.  Before we bid the project, we first looked at why
the client's electric bills were so high.  We found that changing out his
transformers would save him considerable power.  We are waiting for that to
be accomplished and then we will bid on a smaller system.  Here is the
scenario:

The customer built a new straw bale home 2,000 feet from his meter.  The
electrician ordered two large (75KVA), standard-wound transformers to step
up to 600 VAC and then down to 120/240.  The customer's electric bill went
from ~$50/month to ~$200/month and he has yet to move his laundry equipment
into his new house.

Turns out the transformers had a large idle loss.   Using less electricity
did not help this customer.  We had an electrical engineer do an analysis.
Answer:  Changing the large  transformers to custom-wound 15KVA units would
reduce the monthly bill enough to pay-off in 5.4 years.

Installing standard transformers in step-up / step-down configuration is a
mistake.  Voltage drop and in-rush problems occur (I have experienced the
in-rush problems and they can be difficult to resolve).  I have attached a
white paper that explains.

Good luck,

William Miller

At 07:42 AM 7/25/2011, you wrote:

>Wrenches,
>                 I recently installed three "ultra -efficient" step
> up-down transformers on an off grid micro grid project with a 1500' wire
> run. The grid is powered by a an old SW4024(120v) output, stepped up to
> 480v, and stepped down to 240v at two locations. I was told by the
> manufacturer that they were "99% efficient under a full load", but upon
> firing up the system, I found a NO LOAD AMPEREAGE OF 15.6 amps!!!
> Needless to say, a completely unworkable situation for an off grid
> scenario, as the 840ah battery would be drained in a couple of hours
> before anything was turned on. I'm wondering if anyone out there has
> either found off grid friendly step up-down transformers, or if I'm just
> screwed and need to pull parallel 4/0 runs (probably the price of a new
> car) to fix the problem. HELP!
>
>Lars Ortegren

William Miller
Miller Solar