[RE-wrenches] Generator-Transfer Switch-Solar

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Wed Jul 20 12:18:20 PDT 2011

Keith,

I think if you search the archives you will find a bunch of information
on this subject. The general consensus, I believe, was to not try to
back feed a generator. Make your point of interconnection ahead of the
generator transfer switch. Often this means a supply side connection is
easier if the home is already wired for a whole house generator.

I seriously doubt you will have a big impact on fuel consumption, even
if you are able to run the PV system and generator in parallel
operation. The PV to generator size ratio would need to be sufficiently
small for this to work. You certainly don't want to attempt to operate a
10kW inverter output in parallel with a 5kW generator, for example. If I
understand it right, the generator would overspeed and the inverter(s)
would lose sync.

Anyway, if you don't want to replace expensive generator control boards
if it doesn't work, just isolate the systems altogether. I've never
tried it... too chicken, or maybe too smart... J

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar