[RE-wrenches] Paint for Rubber Flashings

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sat Jun 11 04:16:17 PDT 2011

Hi Drake and August,

My '80's era solar hot water inherited customer told me he used latex paint on the "rubber(?)" insert in the flashings as well as on the pipe insulation (and they were in flexible shape some 20+ years later). Oatey (et al) makes the "rubber" washer flashings and  John Deks (et al) makes the Dektite bellows/accordion style flashing. The customer used a color that matched the dark bronze of the existing metalwork and I'm thinking the dark color may provide more UV resistance than lighter colors.

There is now aerosol plastic paint from Krylon and Rust-oleum sold for plastic lawn furniture, plastic sheds, etc. It does a great job of camouflaging the white PVC pipe used in solar pool heat systems on a dark roof but I don't know of its suitability/compatibility for use on the flashing seal materials mentioned above.

Best wishes,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094