[RE-wrenches] Tigo to go?

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Thu Jun 9 11:49:46 PDT 2011

Nowhere close.  I'm not a believer in using micro inverters for large
commercial projects.  Plus, I'm pushed to the limit on this particular
project to keep the costs down in order to satisfy the PPA investors.
Off-line I'll tell you what I'm charging.  I never thought I could/would go
that low.  But our industry (and I've been in the RE biz since the late
1970s) has been taken over by bean counters, financiers/bankers and lawyers.
(Sorry, Michael..)

marco

Marco,

I understand that the cost of electricity in Hawaii is pretty high so cost
can be justified. But don't forget the cost of bolting up each optimizer.
And the cost of doubling the number of cable connection, now and possibly in
the future. Complexity increase cost in the long run?

How closely have you looked at this? It looks like the Tigo is already about
1/4 the cost of an Enphase. So how close are you to moving from an optimizer
/ inverter combination to a microinverter?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959