[RE-wrenches] 24 volt Battery Bank comparison

James Surrette james at surrette.com
Tue May 31 17:10:32 PDT 2011

Hi Wayne,

Why not 12 cells (24VDC) and put the 13th in storage as DRY?

Regards,

Jamie

>>> Wayne Irwin <wayne at pureenergysolar.com> 5/31/2011 9:01 PM >>>
 A) With a 13th battery and only one string, if there were a failure in
one of the cells, the system would most likely demonstrate the failure
rather quickly and allow for the faulty battery to be removed while
still maintaining adequate voltage to operate the 24V system.

 B) On the other hand, Tom presents the exact reason behind the idea of
the 3 - string design.

This is an off grid system.

I know this may open up a can of (philosophically varied) worms. But,
this is the reasoning behind the two designs.

PS. Buss bars (if 3 strings) and 4/0 CU would be used.

Wayne Irwin, EE
Director of Engineering
Pure Energy Solar International Inc.
State Licensed Solar Contractor
License # CVC56695
Wayne at PureEnergySolar.com ( mailto:PureEnergySolar at hotmail.com )
http://pureenergysolar.com ( http://pureenergysolar.net/ )
352 377-6527 Office
352 336-3299 Fax
352 316-1637 Cell

The content of this message is Pure Energy Solar Confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error,
any use or distribution is prohibited. Please notify me immediately by
reply e-mail and delete this message from your computer system. Thank
you.