[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Hydrometer source

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Mon May 16 16:54:32 PDT 2011

Fella's,I'm using the Viper Model 5026 refractometer ... 5026 ... My brother who is a heavy duty mechanic ordered it for me a few years ago from his Mac Tool dealer after i was 'venting' about getting inaccurate readings from a hydrometer.  Cost was about $80.  Came with a hard plastic case that also held a vial of distilled water (for calibration), eye-dropper, special cleaning cloth and calibration screwdriver.Calibration should be done before each use (whole bank not per cell) so that the temperature compensation will be accurate to your surroundings.  If the ambient temp is fluctuating while testing then you should re-calibrate often.  That is to say, when you calibrate it, it is corrected to the present ambient temperature.
Jay, cleaning btwn cells..... what i do is keep two rags/shop towels handy.  One, i keep on top of the batteries for setting the battery cap (that i'm testing) and the eyedropper on when i'm not using it (to keep the battery tops clean and dry)  With the other towel, after testing each cell i wipe the optic lens surface clean and dry just like the Care/Maintenance instructions say "...must be thoroughly wiped clean and dry after each use" (-to ensure accurate readings)
I have noticed if there is any residue or smudge on the optic lens (not thoroughly cleaned) then the indication line is distorted and not 'sharp' and will vary the reading by +-0.005.
benn
DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY