[RE-wrenches] Perimeter warning lines

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon May 2 11:46:34 PDT 2011

As I understand it, OSHA regs don't require you to purchase a certain product. We built our own bases (2x4s, and saw horses, etc) and weighted them with extra ballast blocks from the PV ballasting. We also used a regular rope with the required strength, and hung warning flagging along with it.
The problem I see with your install, is that I believe the warning line needs to be 6 ft from the edge, so you'll have to rope in etc, to do that first row, and then put up the warning line (on top of the first row?)
We never had an OSHA inspection, so I can't say for sure that our method is 100% compliant, but it met all the requirements as I interpreted them.
This may be like an inspection issue: call and ask the local OSHA office having jurisdiction before, to make sure you have what they want to see.
Pretty funny, cause I see roofers just running all over the place with no safety stuff at all. They reroofed my house: a 25 ft fall off a 8:12 pitch, and the guys were right at the edge sitting on a foam pad, with NO ROPE!

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer