[RE-wrenches] Single phase to three phase interconnect

Wilco Vercoelen w.vercoelen at dommelvalley.ca
Mon Apr 25 12:19:23 PDT 2011

Eric,

In order to connect single phase to three phase you probably need phase
sensing on all three legs in order to disconnect the inverter from legs
connected if one leg fails.
Also, in Ontario under microFIT & FIT we typically have to balance power
evenly across each leg as far as feeding power into grid on three phase.
That is why utility companies basically require three phase inverters on
existing three phase lines such as PowerOne or Fronius.

If single phase is only available, you can connect single phase up to 100kW
I believe (after connection impact assessment is done of course)

Not allowing three phase inverters when three phase is available is a puzzle
to me. Not very cost effective and overcomplicating the system.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Wilco Vercoelen
President

Dommelvalley Green Power - Solar Energy Solutions
Barrie, Ontario
Canada

  _____