[RE-wrenches] METAL ROOF ATTACHMENT

Bruce Erickson msolar at mcn.org
Fri Apr 22 11:40:59 PDT 2011

Do you know the wind loading vs pull-out resistance of the threads?
This is why I am happy to have the services of a structural engineer, as required by our County for all roof-mounts for the last 4 years or so. At first it was an annoyance to have the extra time and expense of a PE analysis for each job, but now that it's incorporated into our practices, I certainly sleep better during windstorms. We often have to provide more attachments than our seat-of-the-pants approach would have resulted in, but we no longer have liability for it.

I imagine your threaded proposal is based on the lack of access to the underside of the roof for a through-bolted solution. There has been some discussion in the past of toggle type fasteners for this situation.

Bruce Erickson
Mendocino Solar Service
PO Box 1252
Mendocino, CA 95460