[RE-wrenches] John Wiles

Nick Vida nickvida at ymail.com
Wed Apr 20 20:08:35 PDT 2011

I have definitely learned a lot form reading Wiles, but I have to agree with
William Miller. In a sidebar at the session of his I attended, he explained that
he teaches the inspectors things that he has tried and failed to get into the
NEC. He said that if the inspectors enforce the above the code suggestions he
has presented as code, then the general practices might be adopted, and by and
by, will become code, and his idea which was rejected by the NEC jury will
prevail and he will win.
Every time a new wave of inspectors go through his program, the less
knowledgeable ones take notes on Wiles' suggestions and somehow absorb his
general attitude, and you have to start at ground zero with entitled discussions
that cannot be supported by present or imminent NEC. This is not a scholarly. If
you want to disagree, you can look back at his "Code corner" in home power and
find over and over articles about topics that were never in the code. People
with lesser knowledge are misguided by Wiles' lack of integrity as a scholar. I
am all for continued output of good knowledge and explanations of better
practices to the PV community, but I think Wile's should step aside, and I cant
help but wonder if the job is in peril because of his massive seminar fees.

nick vida