[RE-wrenches] Two Buildings, Two Services, One Roof

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Mon Apr 18 16:54:51 PDT 2011

I don't know, Mark, but it seems to me that it might be an issue.

If you have two buildings, each with their own service, and connected to a single T-former on a pole, I would think that you would create a ground loop if you connected the grounds on the two services together. They would be connected together at the T-former (through the common neutral), and also at the grounding electrodes, creating a loop.

Since the neutrals are pulled from the T-formers, I would think that if you had two separate transformers, the neutrals, and hence the grounds, would be isolated from each other, and this wouldn't be a problem.

I'm I off-base here? What think you, esteemed wrenches?

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar