[RE-wrenches] Pole Mounts - Frost/Conduit & Ledge

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Apr 16 09:19:56 PDT 2011

Hi Rich;

1) I never had a problem with conduit and frost heave, but then again, I haven't dug up all my work after 10 years either.
2) We did a mount exactly as you described, large slab with rebar into the rock at 45s, and bolt the pole to j bolts in the concrete.
I can share our design drawings if you like. We included gussets on the base plate, and the slab is large enough to overcome the tipping moment of the wind load.
Definitely want to keep the pole as short as possible on these. You may want to consider a ballasted design. We've done a few off grid versions that used the batteries as ballast.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer