[RE-wrenches] Experiences with Yamaha inverter generatorsi

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Apr 12 09:08:22 PDT 2011

You will definitely need to set the charge rate down on the inverter, and caution the customers to not run any significant AC loads while using the generator. The pass through AC to the loads through the inverter can temporarily exceed the capacity of the generator and trip its output breaker. Even setting the AC IN on the Outback will not be enough to keep this breaker from tripping.
You just have watch your loads, which is tricky; people always forget and warm their coffee up in the microwave, and then poof: no charging, but the generator is still running on for hours.....
Otherwise, the little Yamahas are very fuel efficient and quiet for the amps you do get from them.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer