[RE-wrenches] 690.4 (B) ???

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Mon Apr 11 06:24:14 PDT 2011

From: Kirk Herander, VSE [mailto:kirk at vtsolar.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:02 PM
To: 'William Miller'
Subject: RE: [RE-wrenches] 690.4 (B) ???

Thanks William,

IMO you are right on in your interpretation. I can see no wiggle room for
the inspector because of the definitions in 690.2. So we will see what
happens. BTW, I hope your local inspector reversed themselves when presented
the same "evidence".

That said, 690.4(B) tin the 2008 NEC is ridiculously vague. PV
inputs/outputs are not spelled out as DC (which by definition they are).
Does "unless connected" mean unless the pv inputs and outputs are tied
together (and why woudn't they be in a jbox or fused array combiner), or
that the pv inputs and outputs are tied to the "separate" system conductors
in the same raceway?

Is this the most poorly worded paragraph in 690? It seems so right now. Just
got my new 2011 NEC (comments version) but I am without it traveling and can
only hope it's been clarified.

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202