[RE-wrenches] PV to 208v 3-phase with high leg

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Fri Apr 8 07:57:45 PDT 2011

Charlie,

The installation manuals for the inverters you work with should clarify the
acceptable service configurations. That¹s where I would start. (Actually,
verify the service type first by having your electrician take line-to-line
and line-to-neutral measurements at the service.) If you¹re talking about a
240 delta service with a 208 V high leg, you could interconnect a 3-phase
central inverter that doesn¹t require a neutral connection; I believe Satcon
fits this description. Or you could stack single-phase inverters
line-to-line with at least one of the inverters configured such that it
doesn¹t need to see the neutral. There may be a specific pin configuration
that you need to set inside the inverter to enable operation without the
neutral.

This John Berdner article on scaling up PV system designs appeared in the
very first issue of SolarPro and includes some electrical service type
diagrams that may be helpful:

http://solarprofessional.com/article/?file=SP1_1_pg32_Berdner

David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
SolarPro magazine