[RE-wrenches] The big valley

Jeff Irish jeff at hvce.com
Tue Apr 5 11:46:36 PDT 2011

A similar story... we were recently called in to fix roof leaks certainly caused by one of our roof systems.  The homeowner was understandably upset with water stains on the new ceiling drywall of the old house they had just moved into.  Looking in the attic, we could see water stains and even moisture drops on the underside of the south roof... and also the north facing roof and the glass and frames of the attic windows on the east and west gable ends.  Seems the contractor had not installed a vapor barrier between the conditioned second floor and the unconditioned attic, and this being New York in the winter, warm moist air was rising into the cold attic and condensing everywhere.  But we were the first ones called, not the GC.
Same moral: don't be quick to accept blame for a roof leak.  Investigate all possibilities.
Jeff Irish
Hudson Valley Clean Energy