[RE-wrenches] Battery SG testing (was Battery watering)

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 3 09:41:56 PDT 2011

Hello Dana,

Sounds like you've solved the sore back problem without over- or under-watering cells.

I water and check electrolyte level every 2 to 6 months depending on the battery bank's age and use (grid-tie float only, off-grid daily charge/discharge, etc.). I encourage spot-checking specific gravity of about 10% of the cells before each scheduled watering and changing the sampling cells each time. That's only 5 cells of a 48 cell battery. But is that an adequate sampling or am I just rationalizing to avoid a sore back?

Joel Davidson