[RE-wrenches] Forward re: NABCEP Stamp

Troy Harvey taharvey at heliocentric.org
Thu Mar 31 08:59:00 PDT 2011

> I think that Bill has summed it up very well. Stamps on plans generally imply the review of a duly recognized engineer. NABCEP Certification is not an equivalency to being a PE.

Confusion with an engineer is my main concern (although I'm a EE, like most not a PE).

However there are a lot of certified groups that carry a stamp. Engineers, architects, surveyers, energy inspectors, etc. If the stamp is clear (NABCEP), then it should be of similar utility just to specify the designer/reviewer is certified in some way. Understand also that in my state that NAPCEP has state recognition.

> I cannot speak for NABCEP either, but if I understand the intent of the building official, he or she is seeking a level of assurance of the design submittal. I think that would be a misapplication of the concept of NABCEP.  NABCEP allows those who have passed the exams to use the NABCEP logo in various ways. But it is not used to certify anything other than that the holder has passed an exam that tests core competencies necessary to

I don't think the F.E./P.E. exams do anything more for you. Just says you passed a test, just like NABCEP. It still up to the engineer to be right and carry professional liability insurance - which we do.

Troy