[RE-wrenches] Depth of discharge

James Surrette james at surrette.com
Sat Mar 26 14:22:55 PDT 2011

Evening all,

A quick note on DOD.

Batteries / cells are often rated at voltages above and below 1.75VPC (1.7 - 1.85 are "common"), so ratings should be verified with the supplier / model.  However, as anyone that has ever run a discharge test knows, the time / available AH from 1.8 to 1.7VPC is not a lot and generally voltage drops quickly.

The voltage at 50% DOD will be influenced by the discharge rate with faster discharge rates (6, 8, 10 hr) having lower voltages at various discharge rates than longer discharge rates (72 or 100 hr).

Regards,

Jamie

>>> Allan Sindelar <allan at positiveenergysolar.com> 3/26/2011 5:50 PM >>>
Kent and list,
And I was half awake this morning and realized my error in yesterday's post to which you responded... I said "A battery is considered empty at 10.75V (12V), or 1.79 VPC."
No, it's at 10.5V, or 1.75 VPC, as you have correctly stated. Sorry.
Allan