[RE-wrenches] Rail concerns (was: Top of POST mount)

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Mar 23 09:32:31 PDT 2011

I 2nd William's comment: the anti-seize is especially important on stainless bolts bigger than 1/4". The spalling effect with larger SS hardware has caused me to return to regular plated hardware, if the project isn't near the ocean, and just use SS washers when in contact with Aluminum.
Having a 3/8" SS bolt grind itself to a halt before even starting to compress the lock washer, and then have it not back off is a huge time waster. Having to then cut the offending bolt off without damaging the nearby rail or modules is also no fun. All this while dangling from a harness on a steep roof, with the sun about to go away......now we're contemplating retirement.....

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer