[RE-wrenches] Value of PV system to a home

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Wed Mar 23 07:22:38 PDT 2011

Having just gone through the home buying and appraisal process, I can tell you first hand that appraisals aren't worth the toilet paper they are written on. It's all about CYA and conjecture. My best friends are real estate agents and bankers, and I hate to say it, but the whole industry is screwed up. Appraised values are not based on anything real at this point. Reason has left the building. Most homes around here are appraised and sold at far less than the cost of new construction. (as a side note, if you have a pile of cash sitting around and want to make lots of money, buy a home in SW Florida NOW!)

The bottom line is that homes and home improvements are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them. What's most important to our industry is the _perceived_ value of improvements. People pay more (or too much) for a home because it has granite countertops or Kohler toilets or a nice mahogany tree in the yard. You won't get an appraisal bonus for a lifetime fiberglass Marathon water heater over a 15 year old rusted out traditional tank, so why would you get a bonus for a solar water heater? Both are better and theoretically save money in the long run, but an appraisal would not consider either.

As an industry, we would be well served to focus on solar improvements and energy savings as an "obvious bonus" to the home buyer, and not try to put an arbitrary dollar value on it. But, if you insist, here is the way I like to think of it as a former finance major and someone who wants to sell solar projects:

A PV system that provides a home with $100 per month in energy savings can buy a 30-year fixed rate mortgage today at 5% valued at $18,628.16. That's your value. Simple. Verifiable. You can make the assumption that degradation and maintenance will be offset by increasing energy rates to keep things simple. The Excel formula is: =PV(0.05/12,360,-100) or =PV(APR/12,360,-SAVINGS). Using this methodology, $1 of annual savings is worth about $15.52 in "appraised value."

The PV (present value) in the formula is a kind of pun I suppose!

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar