[RE-wrenches] Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sun Mar 20 07:31:05 PDT 2011

Kent et al,

Regarding different earth ground potentials, the local electric utility company recently participated in the annual spring home show, this year's effort by that utility continued the green hype labeled Pure Power, but the new event was a high voltage safety demo aimed at adults as well as kids. What the enterprising independent contractor (a former utility lineman) presenting from the well equipped three booth wide demo pointed out (among other things) was, in the event of a down high voltage transmission wire coming into contact with your car, the safest place was (to remain) in your car. Only when the car was energized _and_ on fire should you try to exit. Here is the key if you survived this far and a big surprise to me: If you expected to survive exiting the car and "walking" away, you should remember to "bunny hop" (keep your feet together) while you hopped your way from out of the car to a good distance away. He pointed out that the distance between your steps, should you choose to "walk" away, would be between different earth potentials high enough to kill you. Sobering stuff.

How far to hop he did not define and I did not ask. My take away-don't loose your balance while hopping or receive the same unwelcome results as walking.

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar