[RE-wrenches] Smart Utility meters

SOLARPRO at aol.com SOLARPRO at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 08:40:17 PST 2011

William:

Many non-net-metered folk I know claim that their bills and consumption
have increased dramatically after the arrival of their Smart Meter and have
asked me for advice.  For the most part I beg off....I'm not really in  the
business of testing Smart Meters.  The weather has been so wet and  cold this
year that I suppose it could be due to increased electric use  over last
year.  I have wondered if the old cyclometer type meters have  just worn down
and had been under-reporting consumption.  This has been the  case in a few
of our own installs when the new (non-smart)  meter  arrives after a PV
install and shows increased total consumption ( PV production  + metered
consumption ) over previous billing periods.  When this happens  (very rarely) we
will test the new meter against our own  readings.  But we have had another
batch of customers who received the  Smart Meters by mistake and were
penalized until they could have a not-so-smart  meter re-installed.  We had to send
an email blast to our customer  base alerting them not to let the Edison
subcontractor install any meter if  it is part of a neighborhood wide campaign
and to call us or the utility to  make certain the meter that they are
getting is dumb enough to know that  the electrons may go backwards,
occasionally.

Patrick A.  Redgate
Ameco Solar, Inc.
7623 Somerset Blvd,
Paramount, CA 90723
_www.solarexpert.com_ (http://www.solarexpert.com/)
_www.amecosolar.com_ (http://www.amecosolar.com/)
562-633-4400

In a message dated 3/6/2011 6:56:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,