[RE-wrenches] grounding the Enphase inverter

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 14:47:47 PST 2011

Mark,

The ac side of the system is clearly NOT separately derived since the
neutral ground reference is not derived at the inverter but at the service
entrance.

Your previous post is correct about the fact that, since we are not pulling
dc loads off the dc side, it really is not being used as a separately
derived system in the traditional sense of the word. We have no provision in
article 690 for this specific arrangement. If you have a good suggestion for
a provision in 690, with a good substantiation, we might be able to do
something with it on the Code Making Panel. I think what we have in the 2011
NEC will work for most cases.

You are correct that an ungrounded dc PV system does not require a GEC. It
does require an EGC for the metal parts, of course. The reason I'm not that
interested in fixing stuff on the grounded side is because I don't believe
in grounded dc systems operating above 100V anyway. We need to get
manufacturers to move to inverters and equipment that is setup for
ungrounded systems sooner than later.

Bill.