[RE-wrenches] Solmetric SunEye upgrade?

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Fri Feb 11 10:26:21 PST 2011

Yes, very sensitive to nearby EMFs.

And the bugger mistakes clouds for shading!

marco

Wrenches,
I'm considering upgrading my old SunEye 100 to the model 210 this year. Even
with the trade-in credit, the 210 costs more than the original SunEye did.
I'm interested in hearing from those of you who have taken this step. Is it
worth it? What are the most significant benefits to you?

While we're on the subject of the SunEye, let's talk about some of the
tricks to using this tool. I've found the built-in compass to be very
sensitive to nearby metal, even nails under comp shingles. I find it more
accurate to get the orientation of a site from Google maps and the azimuth
angle finder on the Solmetric website:
http://www1.solmetric.com/tools/RoofAzimTool.htm

Then I update the azimuth angle in the software to the accurate measurement
from Solmetric/Google, but it's still a tedious process to get the tool
oriented as accurately as possible on site. That's part of why I'm
interested in the 210, because its more rectangular shaped body would be a
bit easier to orient on site with a protractor if the magnetic compass is
having fits. Am I being too fussy with this? As I see it, a 10-degree
azimuth error will throw off your shading analysis enough to be significant
in certain scenarios, e.g. does the shade from that tall tree stop at 9am or
10am?

Regards,
-Hans

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org