[RE-wrenches] module / panel

Ian Woofenden ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Wed Feb 9 08:20:08 PST 2011

Not really wrench talk, but as long as you guys are talking about one
of my pet peeves...

I think the phrase "solar panel" is what editors would call a
"skunked term" -- abused and confused so much that it's better to not
use it. It's not understood by many audiences in many situations;
it's ambiguous in many situations.

"Solar panel" can mean:
* PV module
* Solar hot water collector
* Subarray (by silly NEC definition that almost no one in the real
world uses...)
* Breaker panel that handles PV
* Richard Perez, Windy Dankoff, and Cully Judd sitting up on the stage at MREF

I like to use "solar-electric module" and "solar hot water
collector", and "PV" and "SHW collector" for short.

Back to wrenching words,

;-)

Ian

--