[RE-wrenches] NABCEP +

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Mon Feb 7 08:06:24 PST 2011

Hi Warren,

A couple of comments.

>From my viewpoint, NABCEP wants to be all things to all solar people, at
least in those select solar areas where there is money to be made. As you
might surmise, making money is, IMHO, the key to all NABCEP interests,
witness the plethora of certifications that now exist and the straphanger
training crowd willing to get some mileage out of "NABCEP eligible training"
during the current solar tax credit boondoggle. I see NABCEP, at best, sort
of like the US Green Building folks, LEED, Energy Star, etc. admirable in
concept but often so sorely lacking in execution as to be laughable and
oftentimes even disingenuous.

While I would welcome some type of nationwide certification, that hasn't
happened with Doctors, engineers, or even electricians; where there is
certainly less regional variation than there is with solar, so I won't hold
my breath for anyone to accomplish that desirable outcome for a long, long,
long time.Until then, state certification is the defacto benchmark.  I
oftentimes remind myself that it was the giant SONY who first introduced a
standardized videotape format, the BetaMax, but yet it was the, Johnny come
late, upstart Phillips who prevailed with VHS.

Thanks,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar