[RE-wrenches] Problem with NABCEP ad

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at 1scom.net
Mon Feb 7 07:06:13 PST 2011

As long as different states take a different posture on regulating solar PV
businesses, a [voluntary] national certification will not be effective in
any state.
When the City of Austin Texas and Austin Energy began working on their PV
rebate, the City Attorney there made it clear that, to paraphrase, AE could
not mandate NABCEP as a requirement for rebate qualified installers. Their
justification was that the first time a non-NABCEP installer sued the city
to be allowed into the program, the installer would win. This leaves the
door open for literally anyone [in Texas] to lay claim to the PV installer
title. North Texas' own utility funded rebate program [burned through ~$16
million in <18 months] used the same qualifying model allowing untold
numbers of crap-level installations.
And it's not so much the one-man startups with big dreams I'm worried about
as much as the big multi-state electrical contractors that do two or three
installs and call themselves PV professionals with NABCEP behind their name.
Bottom line, until NABCEP certification becomes the default model for a
national PV licensing standard, we will remain much like the VFW. Our older
members will be highly regarded and respected by newer members but the
outside world will view us simply as non-essential fraternity and go about
their habit of giving their business to the lowest bidder.
Once NABCEP can convince just one state to mandate a NABCEP-based state-wide
PV license it will open the door for other states, and the nation, to
follow.
Optimistically

Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy