[RE-wrenches] Parallel wire runs to increase size

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Wed Feb 2 08:47:09 PST 2011

Hi, Larry~

If you convert from American AWG wire gauge sizes to "millimeters squared"
units...you can add the "mm squared" values together, then convert back to
AWG. Here's one conversion chart among many which are available:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html

When running wires in parallel as you describe, one cannot be assured that
the amperage will divide proportionally to the various wire sizes...because
the connection to one strand may be stronger/better than the connection to
another one.

The marine world has the ABYC; the RV world may have something similar...and
those organizations may frown on the parallel wiring practice. I wouldn't
lose much sleep over this, but I would consider sizing any overcurrent
protection for the smallest conductor.

Jolliness,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com