[RE-wrenches] Roofers installing solar = creative, new installation methods

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 10:25:00 PST 2011

Nick, et al

What if you could increase the value and trust of the relationship one step
further and give them an upfront price vs a T&M for the extra work?

They would know, before we begin the work to remedy the idea of how much it will
cost and how long it would take.
Another feather in your cap, to manage the relationship with the client, or
prospective client.

All of the 10 items listed below, can be quoted, out of your company price book,
on the spot. (well, except for shopping for the refrigerator, but you could go
online and look at sears.com !! with them)
To me, this adds alot of common ground with your prospect and exemplifies that
you're organized and been there, done that and anticipate
things. Thoroughness helps get the next project and when they know
what it is going to cost, before we do the work, even more comforting to them.
If found in 90% + situations we can help our prospective customers with
knowledge, education and what it will cost to perform
the tasks needed to fulfill their needs.

This also helps your business in a few tangible ways. One, you assign time to
tasks. You can plan out your labor on your calendar with a reasonable margin of
error for scheduling your team. Two, by providing a price
on the spot, you can also have terms, like pay when completed. I equate this to
going to the supermarket. You can't leave without paying. Every item is priced,
before you go to the checkout counter. It should be the same
with our services. T&M is necessary sometimes, but it gives wiggle room for
delayed payments, and now we are the bank. How much money do we end up floating
each week/month year? We've kinda trained the buying public that this is ok.
It's expensive to do and by offering price before service and payment at the end
of the service, we greatly address our working capital and cash flow
constraints. Third, if you have team members going out to do the work, aka, your
journeyman and apprentices, there will be time associated to tasks and you can
setup reward systems to focus the team on being productive. I call it WIIFM-
what's in it for me, they all want to know what it is, so now we are "upfront"
with them. We reward excellence and include them in the successful outcome. They
are more enrolled in working with you, as this can sculpt their destiny and the
choices they make. They might be less inclined to leave at 3:30 that afternoon,
when if they just stay another 1.5 hours (example), they'd complete the job and
be available to tackle the next job in the queue.

Not only do I believe this is possible, but it is something we've done since
2003. It is effective, it works and it reshapes the culture and rituals in your
organization.

If you have any questions, you can contact me off list.

Aloha

Keith