[RE-wrenches] Load testing batteries?

James Surrette james at surrette.com
Wed Jan 26 10:34:21 PST 2011

Hi Jesse,

I see you have already received several responses to your post.  Only one item to add.

Given the electrolyte was dumped and replaced with "new" you SG readings will be artificially high and am surprised they are reading ~1.225.  I surmise that low strength acid may have been added?

Suggest you charge these units until the SG stops rising.

As mentioned by many, please be careful as the freezing may have caused internal shorts, which you should notice as soon as you place on charge / discharge.

Regards,

Jamie

>>> Jesse Dahl <dahlsolar at gmail.com> 1/26/2011 1:53 AM >>>
Wrenches,

I have some (4) rolls 6 volt batteries 4000 series S-460. They are from a stand alone system in Ely, MN I have mentioned in a previous question. I had mentioned in the previous post that they were suspected to have been frozen (bulged cases).  The owner took them out of the system, dumped the electrolyte out and added new electrolyte.  I have no idea what she added or any specifics.

I did a SG test today, all of the cells seemed to have 50% SOC, but I don't think that means anything.

Most of the info I got from the last post and from my knowledge tells me the batteries are shot. They are 10 years old at least.  What I'm asking, I guess, is what type of load tester would a person need to load test a battery like this.  I have a cheap one, up 160Ah I believe, but I'm not sure if it will work this test.  I have limited battery experience and would appreciate any help with testing methods.

Thanks everyone,

Jesse

Sent from my iPad!!!

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org