[RE-wrenches] 10A Charge / load controller; Morningstar MPPT controller

Warren Lauzon warren at wind-sun.com
Tue Jan 25 11:01:28 PST 2011

We only have non-archived computerized records going back 1 year, but it looks like 95% of the Morningstar MPPT-15 controllers we sold were for 21 to 44 Voc panels. I only see a very few higher voltage panels. Our main line of the 200 watt’ish range is Kyocera, SolarWorld, and Sharp. Just judging from comments by all the posters in this group, there seems to be a rather high failure rate among smaller controllers. I wonder how many of those failures were due to user/install errors or outside factor like lightning as compared to actual bad controllers.

Of all controllers that we have ever sold in the past 5 years or so, BZ had the highest failure rate (we stopped selling them about 2 years ago). Blue Sky also has a very low fail rate, but they are much less versatile than the Morningstar, Outback, and Xantrex MPPT controllers when it comes to matching larger panels, and the MPPT tracking does not seem to work as efficiently.