[RE-wrenches] Battery electrolyte question

Scott McCalmont re-wrenches at scottmccalmont.com
Tue Jan 11 07:52:55 PST 2011

This little poem from Chemistry 101 would apply:

Do as you oughter,
Add acid to water!

When mixing chemicals that react exothermically, there is a risk that the solution will overheat and splash out violently. By adding the acid to the water, the acid is the limiting part of the reaction, which helps keep things in control. The Wikipedia entry for sulfuric acid suggests adding the acid to ice, which not only fulfills the directive of the poem but also helps by starting everything at a lower temperature. Nice idea.

I agree with those who posted taking the jug to a hazardous waste facility or battery store. Either should be equipped to handle the electrolyte in the best way. The leaking jug can be contained by putting it in a 5-gallon bucket or something similar, and then you could clean up the stuff that leaked out with baking soda.

Scott