[RE-wrenches] battery venting

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 14:16:47 PST 2011

Hello Jeffrey,

Since you're working under constrained conditions
for the install, and apparently have little option
on using the flooded/vented batteries, here are
some suggestions that may help:

1) Do your best to ensure the battery enclosure
is reasonably sealed except for the outlet vent.

2) Use non-corrosive vent pipe of as large a
diameter as is practicable for your circumstances.
Angle it upwards at all times.  A 4% hydrogen
concentration can be explosive.

3) Install corrosion-resistant screening at the
vent outlet, and with the vent oriented in a
manner to discourage entry of unwanted anything.

4) Install the vent fan on the fresh-air inlet
side of the box.  The inlet itself should
be located below the tops of the batteries,
and at the opposite end from the vent.  Screen
the inlet to keep critters and anything else
from getting in.

This accomplishes several goals:

a) Keeps the fan and its mechanics out of the
corrosive flow; b) Eliminates any possibility of
a spark occurring in the hydrogen; c) Locates the
fan into a "friendlier" atmosphere, reducing its
exposure to insects and other accumulating junk;
d) Makes the fan easier to service/replace if it
*should* fail.

Happy New Year to all.

Dan