[RE-wrenches] battery venting

JRQ quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 06:59:39 PST 2011

Wrenches,

I'm looking at a potential battery backup system wtih a 200 AH @48V flooded battery bank in the basement electrical room of a 3 story building. There is a window in the electrical room. The batteries will be located about 10' from an outdoor wall. The building is all reinforced concrete, so I can not run a vent pipe vertically from the batteries. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for how much the vent pipes can be angled from the batteries? Would it be more lenient for short sections of pipe (say <2') versus one long angled piece from the batteries? My instinct would be to keep the pipe no more than 45˚ from plumb.

Or with bending the vent pipe: does anyone have a best-practice rule for the sum of the angles of bends?

Thanks,
Jeffrey Quackenbush
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Peripatetic Solar Technician