[RE-wrenches] Outback Breaker Problem and looking towards 2012

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Dec 27 20:14:48 PST 2011

Hi Jeff & REwrenches;

I haven't talked to a single PV installer that is happy with that
breaker post.  I'm sure plenty more have broken off those breaker studs,
thinking that they should behave like a normal breaker.  Most have just
shut up and thought they were to blame.
Neither Outback nor Carling have any maximum wire size limit for that
breaker, so apparently you can land a 250 MCM cable without a
problem.;-)   Neither torque nor appropriate wire size and lugs are
listed on the breaker like most other UL listed breakers.
Midnite Solar once again is the only outfit honest enough to admit there
could be an issue, and come up with a solution.
First, they provide a light weight lug with their breakers, and 2nd,
their 90 and 100 amp breakers have a sturdier post type. This post is
available from Carling for the smaller breakers, if you special order it.
This isn't rocket science: the cross section of the metal tab is the
equivalent of a #8 wire, so both electrically and mechanically, that's
the appropriate max wire size for that breaker.
Considering we've been breaking these tabs off for almost 10 years,  it
seems its about time that they fixed the problem.
They just shouldn't sell that breaker with that weak post type for any
applications over 50 amps.
Note: post is not twisted, but bent from landing #4 wire.  This resulted
in a week delay, and another unpaid 2 hour round trip to fix. (Outback
or Carling care to cover my costs?)

My 2012 resolution: Quit losing money fixing other companies' problems

Ray Walters
NABCEP Certified Installer
BS Mechanical Engineering
First Install: 1986